How to Create and Manage Child Account in Windows 10?
Microsoft launched Windows 10 with many useful features but one of the most useful feature is still unnoticed by many of us. It is “Your Family” which lets you create and manage child accounts in windows 10! As a parent you must be very much worried about your child’s activity on computer. With separate accounts of your children it makes easy for you to limit and block features that aren’t necessary to give access to your child.
This family safety feature was also available in previous windows 7 and windows 8 versions but in Windows 10, this feature is lot more improved than previous versions. All you have to do is just add and verify your child user account and you will be able to monitor and manage your child’s activities on computer. Best thing about this family safety feature is you can remotely monitor and control your child’s activity on home computer from your computer at office! This is cool. isn’t it?
There’s lot more you can do with this feature…
If you think that your children is doing something that isn’t good for them then you just sign in to your Microsoft account from any device and block that feature for their user accounts. Simple! You can also set time limit of playing games for your child’s user account through this feature. Microsoft Family safety feature of Windows 10 is complete parenting solution to monitor and limit your child’s computer activity so let me show you how you can create and configure child account on your windows 10 computer.
How to Create Child Account in Windows 10?
Note – You need to sign in with your Microsoft account on your computer in order to create child account on your windows 10 laptop or computer.
1) Open Settings by clicking on “All Settings” in Action Center of your windows 10 computer. Or simply press “Windows + I” to open Settings.
2) In Settings, click on “Accounts” setting.
3) Select “Family & other users” from menu on left hand side of the screen to access “Your Family” feature of Windows 10. Click on “Add a family member” there. If you don’t see Family & other users settings then make sure you have properly signed in to Microsoft account on your computer.
4) If everything goes fine, then new window will open asking you to “add child or an adult” family member? Select “Add a child” and add e-mail address associated with your child’s Microsoft account and click Next button.
If your child don’t have Microsoft account then create new by clicking on “The person I want to add doesn’t have an email address”. After creating Microsoft account input email of your child in the text box and click “Next”.
5) Check the email address again and click on “confirm” button.
6) Now your child should have got an invitation email to join Microsoft family. Ask your child to open their email account and accept invitation by clicking on “Accept Invitation” button.
7) It will open new window which will show your child what happens when they join Microsoft Family. Explain about it to your children if you want to or directly click on “Sign in and join” button which will create child account in windows 10.
Now you should see your child’s name added to “Microsoft Family”.
In this way you can easily create child account in Windows 10. Now your child will be able to access your windows 10 computer just like a normal user and you can monitor and control your child’s user account activity but you need to activate it by changing few settings. So let’s talk now on configuring child account to get most out of Microsoft Family feature.
How to Configure & Manage Child Account in Windows 10?
1) To begin, click on “Manage family settings online” link in Family & other users settings window.
2) It will open up the browser and ask you to sign in to your Microsoft account, if you aren’t signed in already. Once you are signed in, select the child’s account for which you want set restrictions and monitor activity.
3) On this page, you will be able to monitor and control every computer activity of your child. First and foremost enable “Activity reporting” to start monitoring your child’s activity. Also turn on weekly email reports to receive weekly reports of your child’s computer activity on your email id associated with your Microsoft account.
4) You will be able to see all websites accessed by your child (works only with Microsoft Edge) so that you can block the one which you think aren’t necessary to give access rights to your child. You will be able to see what apps and games are opened by your child and you can also block apps, games and other media which you think aren’t appropriate for your child. You can also set Screen time, so that your child can only use computer in that specified time span.
In this way you can easily monitor and control your child’s computer activity on windows 10 pc or laptop. If you face any difficulties in creating and managing child account then feel free to ask me in comments below. Also share your experience with Microsoft Family feature of Windows 10.