How to Make / Receive Calls From iPad Running iOS 8 ?
With the release of iOS 8 last year, Apple tried to make their devices work more seamlessly with each other and they really did it. You can now start working on your Mac and continue it on your iPad or iPhone from wherever you left off, because of Hands Off feature and Continuity between iOS 8 and Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite. There are lots of possibilities with continuity between apple devices, but the one which we are going to discuss today is, handling the phone calls from all Apple devices. Yes it is possible now to make calls from iPad or iPod touch and in this article I have explained that in detail so read further and setup your apple devices to handle cellular calls.
Before we proceed to the tutorial, let us discuss how this actually works and what are the necessary things to do so that you can make and receive calls from your iPad, iPod or Mac. Well first and foremost thing you will need iPhone 4s or later versions. Any other company phone handsets are not supported, so if you don’t have an iPhone than there is nothing for you here. Another necessary thing is, your devices should be signed in with the same Apple ID. If you don’t have an Apple ID or having problems creating than you can refer to the article here. These were the things which are must before proceeding to tutorial but how this actually works? Lets talk in detail about it.
As I said earlier that to make and receive calls from all Apple devices, you will need an iPhone and also your other devices should be signed in with the same Apple ID on your iPhone. Now when you receive phone call on your iPhone, your call is also forwarded to your iPad or iPod touch using Wi-Fi. As it uses Wi-Fi to forward calls, it is also necessary that your devices should be connected to same Wi-Fi network. Once all this things are setup, it is really delightful to talk with your iPad, iPod or Mac. Well to make all this things work seamlessly, there are lot more settings to change but these are the common ones which one must consider before proceeding to steps.
Now as you have understood how this works and what are the prior things to check, let us begin with the steps to activate iPhone cellular calls on iPad, iPod or Mac.
Make Calls From iPad / iPod / Mac
For this tutorial, I would be using iPhone 4s and iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.1.2 you can do similarly on iPod and Mac too. For Mac it is necessary that you are running the latest version of Mac OS X which is 10.10 yosemite and for other iOS devices, it is mandatory that your devices should be updated to iOS 8. Once you think that your devices are all set, you can begin with the steps below.
1) First of all you have to turn on the “Hand off” on both iPhone and iPad. To do that Open Settings App in that head over to General and in that go to Hand off & Suggested Apps in that turn on Hand off.
Settings -> General -> Hand off & Suggested Apps -> Turn on Hand off.
(If you are doing it on iPod then turn it on in iPod using same method.)
2) After doing this, now we have to turn on “iPhone Cellular Calls” in iPad. To do that Open Settings App on your iPad and in that head over to FaceTime Settings. Turn on there FaceTime and also iPhone Cellular Calls.
Settings -> FaceTime -> Turn on FaceTime and iPhone Cellular Calls.
3) Once you do this, your iPad is all set to take calls from your iPhone, Now we have to set iPhone to forward calls to iPad. For that you have to turn on “iPhone Mobile Calls” on your iPhone. To do that Open Settings App on your iPhone and in that go to FaceTime. Turn on FaceTime and iPhone Mobile Calls there.
Settings -> FaceTime -> Turn on FaceTime and iPhone Mobile Calls.
Once you do all these settings properly, connect your devices to the Wi-Fi and then you are all set to make and receive calls from your iPad. Now whenever you will receive phone call on your iPhone, you will be able to handle that phone call from your iPad too. This was about receiving phone call on iPad but what if you want to call someone from your iPad ?
How to Make Call From iPad Running iOS 8 ?
You don’t have Phone App like iPhone to dial phone number and make a call on iPad so how you will make a call from your iPad ? Don’t panic. There’s still a way to do it.
1) Open Contacts App on your iPad. There you will find all your contacts which are on your iPhone. (If you don’t see your iPhone contacts there then turn on Contacts Sync in iCloud Settings of your iPad and iPhone.)
2) After that select the contact to whom you would like to call and tap on the phone icon in the right side of phone number and it will call to that particular contact from your iPad. Once you make a call, you will be able to see the green bar on your iPhone indicating that your Phone app is used by iPad.
In this way you can easily make calls from your iPad. Well if you are still not able to do it, then you should try doing it again by following all things which I stated in steps and before that. If you still have problems than you can ask me in comments below, I would try to get back to you as soon as possible.