How to Password Protect Google Chrome?
We all prefer to lock computer while we are leaving it for short time. Well I think it’s good practice as it ensures that no one is using and messing up with it when you are not around. What if you could also lock your web browser? Sounds good isn’t it? Google Chrome in its latest update introduced a new feature “User Manager” using which you can create multiple users of Google Chrome. It certainly allows us to keep our web history and bookmarks more safe by enabling password protection on google chrome.
It happens with all of us that we have to share our computer with relatives and colleagues. At that time allowing them to use computer from guest account or other accounts would be more feasible so that you can ensure your computer data is safe and free from privacy theft. The same thing has been also introduced into Google Chrome. Using this new feature you can add new users to chrome or if someone asks you to let them use internet on your computer than you can simply lock your account and switch Google Chrome to guest mode. This would lock all your internet browsing history, bookmarks and even extensions from guest users and if you want them back than all you have to do is, just sign in back with your Google account and all your things will be at the place where it was earlier. I think this is simply awesome!
If this is still not appealing you to password protect your web browser then let me talk in detail on –
Why You Should Password Protect Google Chrome Right Now ?
As we all know that Google Chrome uses Google Accounts to sign in but when you are signing in to google chrome at the same time you are also signing into all Google Services which includes – Gmail, Google Drive, Youtube, Maps, Calendars etc. Now if you don’t have password protection enabled on your chrome and if you are away from your computer then you are in serious threat of internet privacy theft. Anyone would be able to see your personal emails and other things without letting you know. But if you have enabled password protection on your web browser, it won’t show up any of your personal files until and unless you sign in to it and if someone wants to browse internet on your computer than they would be able to do it in Guest mode. Now let us proceed to the steps on enabling password protection on google chrome.
How to Enable Password Protection In Google Chrome ?
As I told earlier that it uses your google account to sigin in and lock google chrome, so first of all sign in to Google Chrome with your Google Account and than follow below given steps.
1) Open Google Chrome and than visit Chrome Experiments Page by going to this URL – “chrome://flags/”.
Note – Don’t mess up with any other settings, otherwise it may lead to undesired changes.
2) On Chrome experiments page you will see that there are plenty of settings of Google Chrome, Search for “Enable new profile management system” setting from it.
3) Once you find that setting you will see that it is set to Default. Enable that setting by selecting “Enable” from drop down list.
4) Once you enable it, click on “Relaunch now” button in the bottom of the screen so that the changes made can take effect.
5) Once you relaunch chrome, you will be able to see the drop down list in the top right corner of Chrome Window. Click on that and there you will find options to switch user accounts (Google Accounts), Incognito mode and Lock. Click on the “Lock”, if you want to lock the Chrome browser when you are away.
Make sure you save all your work, because it certainly closes all the tabs when you lock it and reopens those tabs when you unlock it.
6) Once you will lock the chrome, it will show all the users and then you can switch to other users. To get back to your previous session, simply type in your google account password and it will open up all the tabs which were previously opened.
7) This was how you can enable password protection and lock google chrome. Now when you browser is locked, other people can still use browser by selecting “Browse as Guest” in bottom left corner of window. You can also add another profile by clicking on “Add Person”, there you can sign in with another google account and use google chrome as that respective person.
This was all about locking google chrome and how to use it. As I said earlier also that when you lock google chrome, it closes all the tabs so don’t forget to save all your work before doing it. According to me this is really great feature by which we can manage multiple users on google chrome, do tell me in comments how this tutorial goes for you and what do you think about this new feature of google chrome.