How To Disable Hibernation In Windows 8 ?
On reading different internet forums, I concluded that so many people were asking the similar question and they were not getting proper reply to their questions. I am writing this article to solve problem of those people easily and with proper understanding. In this article I have explained in easy steps by following which you can disable hibernation in windows 8 or 8.1.
Before proceeding to our task you must know what exactly is hibernate and also what are benefits and drawbacks of using hibernate feature of windows 8 or 8.1. First of all we will talk on this topics and than below are the steps to disable hibernation windows 8 / 8.1 feature.
What is Hibernate ?
Hibernate is a alternate process to shutdown your computer. But difference between shutdown and hibernate is, In hibernate you can resume to your previous tasks. All the programs and windows which were open will be opened when you will start your computer which was earlier put in hibernate mode. If we talk this thing in technical terms than, When you hibernate your computer all the programs which were loaded into your computer RAM are stored into your computer’s hard disk and when you start your computer they are loaded back to RAM from hard disk.
Now as you have understood what exactly term hibernation means, Let us talk about pros and cons of Hibernation in windows 8 or 8.1. There is nothing wrong if you hibernate your computer every single time, as it saves time. You don’t have to open every single program each time you start windows. Even hibernating starts your computer more quickly.But once in a week you may feel that your computer is working bit slow. At that time your computer is in serious need of reboot. This happens because there are some programs in your computer which could not release resources fully. This things happens actually behind the scenes and therefore this may vary as per usage of computer. Even I do hibernate my windows 8 laptop as I am always in hurry. I will never disable hibernation in my laptop but If you want to disable hibernation on windows 8 or 8.1 than you can do it by following below given steps.
Disable Hibernation In Windows 8 or 8.1
There are actually 2 ways by which you can disable hibernate in windows 8 or 8.1 one is by windows GUI and another is by Command Prompt. I have explained both methods with simple steps. Follow below given steps to disable hibernation windows 8 / 8.1
Steps To Disable Windows 8 or 8.1 Hibernation ( GUI Method ) :
1) Press ‘ Start button + W ‘ and search ‘ Power ‘. It will show you results as in image below. Select ‘ Change what the power buttons do ‘ from all search results.
2) It will open ‘ System Settings ‘ window. In that click on ‘ Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable ‘. It will let you access settings which are not accessible.
3) Now ‘ un-check Hibernate ‘ in Shutdown Settings and click on ‘ Save Changes ‘.
4) Now you will see that, In power options there is no more option to ‘ Hibernate ‘ Windows.
In this way you can easily disable hibernation in windows 8 or 8.1. below is steps for another method to disable hibernate.
Steps To Disable Windows 8 or 8.1 Hibernation ( Command Prompt Method ) :
1) Open start and search for the term which is given below ( simply type it ).
2) Right Click on ‘ Command Prompt ‘. It will open options menu from below, In that click on ‘ Run as Administrator ‘.
3) After that you will see command prompt open on your screen. If you don’t know what is command prompt than it is a black screen window on which you have to type commands. Type below given command without any mistake and hit ‘ Enter ‘ key.
powercfg /h off
If it will be successfully executed you will see blank otherwise you will get errors on black screen. This command deletes hibernate file (‘hiberfile.sys’) as a result it will disable hibernation in windows 8 and also in 8.1.
In this way you can disable hibernate feature but what if you want hibernate feature back! Don’t worry there is also command for that task.
Just simply type below given command to enable again hibernate feature on your computer or laptop.
powercfg /h on
As from studies I have concluded that disabling hibernate feature has increased booting time of computer or laptop. Now if you don’t want to try any of these methods than you can fix your problem automatically by going to this links.
In this way you can easily disable hibernation in windows 8 / 8.1. If you have any questions, you can always ask in comments. I will get back to you as soon as possible.