How to Use Android Phone or Tablet as Webcam on PC ?
Do you have old useless android phone or tablet? Are you planning to sell it for whatsoever price you get? Well if you have already sold than you will regret after reading this article! Yes, Today I’m gonna show you how you can use android as webcam of your pc. If you don’t have webcam and if you are planning to own one, than this tutorial is surely a money saving tip for you.
I was using Android phone but since I bought new iPhone, my old android phone became just a memory to me. I placed it in the corner of my wardrobe where no one can reach it, not even me. One day I planned to sell that Android phone for the price by which I can buy a new Webcam. This what made me think to use my android phone as webcam so I tried few ways to do this and finally now I am using my android device as webcam of my computer to video call with my friends on facebook, Skype and Google Talk. In this tutorial I have shared my way to use android as webcam which I think will be helpful to you.
If you are thinking of rooting like hazardous tasks than you must remove that thought from your mind, as we are not going to do any work of that kind. All you have to do is just download app which is available for free on Google Play Store. Yes there are many free apps in Play Store by using which you can make your android phone or tablet webcam of your pc or laptop. Let us first have a quick look to those apps.
Best Android Apps to Use Android as Webcam on PC or Laptop
Here is the list of few apps which you can use to make your android phone or tablet webcam. I have also listed the steps to use apps, which you can follow to complete task with more ease.
IP Webcam –
I think this is one of best and very useful app available on Play Store. It has got tonnes of cool features which are even not available on external webcam! All you have to do is download this app on your android device and you can view your camera on any platforms using VLC player or web browser. It also allows video streaming on common Wi-Fi networks with no internet connection.
How to use IP Webcam and use android as webcam ?
- Download and install IP Webcam on your android phone from Play Store
- After installation gets complete download and install IP Camera Adapter app on your windows or mac from here
- Open IP webcam app on your android device. Scroll down to last option ‘start server’ and tap on it.
- You will see your camera result on your phone, now to see your android camera result on your pc or laptop screen simply type the IP address shown to you on android device screen in any browser of your computer and hit enter.
- You will see the control panel of the video there, you can watch video there and make video settings as per your requirements.
USB Webcam –
This app stands best when you don’t have wifi router or internet connection on your phone. All you have to do is connect your android device via USB and you can use your phone or tablet camera as a webcam on your computer. This app is also available for free on Google Play Store but the only thing where this app lags is its low resolution video output. The video which you get as output on computer screen is not up to the mark. Yet it is not the major issue and app developer has also promised to fix this issue in its upcoming updates. If you don’t have router than this is the best app which you must try.
How to use USB Webcam and use android as webcam ?
- Install USB webcam on your android phone or tablet.
- Now download and install the software which handles this app on your computer.
- After you install both of these apps, run app on your phone and connect it with your computer or laptop.
- You will be able to see the video from your android device camera on screen. You can also tweak settings to get better video.
Air Droid –
This is the app which I personally used to make my old android phone webcam of my pc. Well I must say this is the must have app for all the people. Not because it allows you to use your android phone as webcam but also for its other great features. You can control your whole android phone through this app. From messaging to voice calls, it lets you do all the tasks. You can view and send messages, add or delete apps and many more things. Let me now show you how you can use this app to use your android phone and tablets as webcam of your pc or laptop.
Steps to Use Android as Webcam on Your Computer
Here I am sharing my own method and steps which I used to use my android phone as webcam. Let me first of all give you overview of whole tutorial, I used app name Air Droid so first of all you have to download Android from play store on your mobile than we will be configuring a bit to get best results.
1) Download AirDroid on your Android phone or tablet from here The reason why I used this app and also why I am insisting you all to use this app is, you don’t have to download any software on your computer or laptop for using this app.
2) Open the AirDroid app and when it asks to signin select ‘signin later’. Now you will see one IP address on the screen which you have to type on your computer internet browser.
3) Type IP address in any browser shown to you on your android device screen and hit enter. As soon as you hit enter, you will see popup on your android device confirming the authenticity of computer. Accept the request to connect.
4) As soon as you will tap on Accept, you will be able to handle your android device with computer. From all the options click on camera option.
5) It will turn on the camera of your android device and you will be able to see the video on computer screen.
In this way you can easily you your phone or tablet as webcam on pc. Now if you want to disconnect your android device than all you have to do is open AirDroid app and tap on ‘Disconnect’ option. It will disconnect your phone or tablet from computer.
I hope this article helps you to use android as webcam on computer, If you face any difficulties doing this than as me in comments. Also If you are knowing any other things by which we can use our old android devices than I would love to hear from you via comments. Don’t forget to share this post with your friends.